Women scientists from science- and technology-lagging countries (STLCs) are eligible to apply for the OWSD PhD Fellowships 2024 (Fully Funded) which supports doctoral study in the natural, engineering, and information technology sciences. The fellowship pays for a monthly stipend, annual medical insurance premiums, and visa fees.
Under the auspices of the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA), the programme is administered and made available to developing countries worldwide in partnership with visiting organizations.
The Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida) generously provides cash for the program’s administration. It is delivered in collaboration with host institutes across developing nations.
The fellowship program’s overarching goal is to foster the formation of a new generation of female leaders in science and technology as well as their effective involvement in their nations’ scientific and technical advancements.
OWSD PhD Fellowships Summary
- Level of Study: PhD
- Institution(s): Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD)
- Study in: Developing Countries
- Program Period:
– A full-time fellowship (maximum 4 years funding)
– A sandwich fellowship The total number of months spent at the host institute cannot exceed 20 months.
- Deadline: (OWSD deeply regrets to inform all our members and followers that there will be no call for PhD applications in 2023. This is due to global circumstances affecting our funding sources. )
- La Roche University Scholarships 2024-USA
- The Shawn Carter Scholarship 2024 in USA
- IRP Research Grant 2024 in Switzerland (Fully Funded)
- Hubei Government Scholarship 2024 in China (Fully Funded)
- Humboldt Research Fellowships in Germany 2024 Fully Funded
Eligibility Criteria for OWSD PhD Fellowships 2024
- Languages Needed: English
- Suitable Nations: You may see the list of qualified nations right here as well.
- An MSc in one of the study areas mentioned above is a minimal requirement.
- The host institutes must be situated in a South American developing nation—not the candidate’s own nation.
- After the fellowship is over, candidates must attest that they plan to return home as soon as feasible.
The specific aims of the OWSD PhD Fellowships are
- To increase young, gifted women who have graduated from STLCs’ access to science and technology-related training and educational possibilities.
- To boost female scientists’ inventiveness and productivity in the scientific community inside STLCs.
- To enable a new wave of gifted women to take on leadership positions in the fields of science and technology.
- To inspire female scientists to support the long-term growth of their own nations.
- To facilitate regional and global networking and collaboration among female scientists from the South.
Candidates can choose between two study schemes
- A full-time fellowship with funding limited to four years, with all research conducted at a host institute in another Southern developing nation.
- A sandwich fellowship, in which the recipient must be enrolled as a Ph.D. candidate in her home nation and complete some of her coursework at a host institution in a developing nation.
- The sandwich fellowship can be obtained for up to three research trips to the host institute, with a minimum of one visit. The initial visit must last at least six months.
- The maximum duration of stay at the host institute is 20 months. There may be no more than four years of funding.
Opportunity Focus Areas:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Chemical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology
- Engineering Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Medical and Health Sciences
- Structural, Cell, and Molecular Biology
OWSD PhD Fellowships Coverage
Support for the OWSD PhD Fellowship is only given to the students while they are physically present at the host institute.
The OWSD PhD Fellowships covers:
- A monthly stipend to cover necessities like housing and food while residing in the host nation
an extra stipend to attend conferences abroad while the fellowship is in effect
- Return airfare for the agreed-upon research time from the home country to the host institute, including visa costs
- Contribution to medical insurance each year
- The chance to participate in competitive regional scientific communications workshops
- Study fees, which also include tuition and registration costs, must be paid in accordance with the selected host institution.
The OWSD PhD Fellowships does not cover:
- Bench fees and consumables
- Support for language training, either before or during the fellowship program
- Support for shipment of research samples
- Costs for personal computer or software purchase
- Support for family members
- Additional return tickets to the home country for personal reasons
How to Apply for OWSD PhD Fellowships 2024?
To apply for this OWSD PhD Fellowships, please follow these instructions:
(1) Open the online application form on the portal.
(2) Verify that you submit the necessary files, which are mentioned below:
- Research proposal outline for a Ph.D.
- Transcripts and degree certificates.
- CV (resume).
- Initial letter of acceptance from one or more host universities.
- Commitment letter from the university that is hosting.
- Two letters of reference.
- A scanned copy of the passport page, which includes the applicant’s personal information (picture, document number, etc.), is required.
- Applicants for SANDWICH study programs must furthermore provide the following paperwork:
- Registration and a certificate of no objection.
- The home supervisor’s declaration of support.